Guide to Getting Your CPR Number and Residence

August 22, 2012  //  By:   //  GUIDE, OFF CAMPUS  //  1 comment

Like most government dealings, getting residence and your “Person Number” means filling in the right forms. Lucky for you that Denmark has made their application process relatively pain free. Just don’t expect a quick reply. Some students have reported having to wait 3 or 4 weeks before getting their residence permit, and then waiting a little longer than that for their CPR number, so a lot of things will have to wait until you get this valuable number.

The Nordic Neighbors

If you’re a Nordic citizen, you can basically wander in to your local Borger Service and show them your Passport and Nordic Registration Number and you’ll be all set. No forms; nothing. Just show up and tell them you want to reside here.

The EU Kids From Around the Block

Now if you’re from the EU or an European Economic Agreement country, you’ve got a little bit of work to do. You have 3 months of free stay before you need your residence permit. But all you need to do is fill out an application form and bring proof of enrolment at CBS. Ask CBS Admin for a document to prove your enrolment. If you’re having any troubles, just ask a 2nd year buddy or get in contact with the International Citizen Service 

The Out of Town Internationals

You managed to make your way all the way to Copenhagen. 100 years ago, this would be impressive; today however, your ability to be patient and fill out the right forms all just in time will be the most impressive bit of work. Remember, just like the EU citizens, you can get a 2nd year buddy or contact the International Citizen Service at any time to help you along. We’ll try to get you through most of this without you needing too much help.

To start, you need to finish filling out the form that the school started. They will send this to you once they are done with it. Just read the instructions and fill in the blanks. Unfortunately, the application costs you DKK 1,645 or about €220. This is where you suffer the worst part of Danish Education Rules and Immigration rules clashing. The ST1 form you’re supposed to fill out is supposed to be submitted in your country of residence. So, that means either staying home long enough to do it or having family members back home start it for you. If you can do this though, you’ve done the most difficult part of the application process. Once you’ve submitted the application you just wait for them to say whether you’ve been accepted or not.

CPR Number

Now once you’re allowed to reside in Denmark, you need to get an apartment. Have a place to live? Good, now you just need to go to either the Citizen Service Center or the International Citizen Service (addresses below) with all this;

  • Valid registration certificate
  • Passport/ID card with picture
  • Proof of address in Copenhagen (rental contract, a letter from the landlord i.e.)
  • Marriage certificate if you are married
  • Childrens birth certificates, if you have children

Just fill out the application form from here (if you have no internet access, it’s short enough to do at the office) and go. Then wait 2 weeks and you should have a CPR number.

This article was published and written by Erik Thompson, a member of the International Business Integration Union. IB Union consists of a group of students dedicated to helping students from abroad transition to life in Copenhagen. You can find out more about them at here or on the IB Union Facebook page.

About the Author :

1 Comment to “Guide to Getting Your CPR Number and Residence”
  • Antonia
    July 14, 2014 - Reply

    Where can I find an example for this letter of approval from my landlord ? I got one sheet from the international citizen house but it contains only information about me , do I need something else and i couldn’t find in the internet any examples of this letter of approval

Leave a reply