Insurance in Denmark

August 22, 2012  //  By:   //  GUIDE, ON CAMPUS  //  No Comment

Insurance is something most people dread dealing with; mainly because it is boring and can take up a lot of time. Insurance differs from country to country.

To start off there are some general facts about insurances in Denmark that it is important to be aware of. First, there is an annual fee called “forsikringspræmien”, which is the amount you pay the insurance company for the insurance. Then there is something called an excess fee. The excess fee is the amount of money you have to pay yourself if an accident happens. Excess fees are called “selvrisiko” in Danish and vary a lot from company to company.

The insurance companies are allowed to ask for your medical history. If you knowingly provide insurance companies with incorrect information, your insurance could become invalid. Therefore, it is important always to answer questions asked by the insurance companies truthfully.

In Denmark, you have a legal responsibility to have public liability insurance (also known as a third party liability insurance) if you own a registered vehicle or a dog. If that is the case, you need to look into the specific insurance demands for your type of vehicle or pet.

Whether you move into an apartment or a dorm, you need house contents insurance. Those insurances usually cover stolen and broken possessions. Here, it is especially important to pay attention to how high the excess fee is and whether or not the insurance covers your bike, as bike theft is quite common in Copenhagen.

Another very useful insurance is an accident insurance. It covers you if you get hurt. There are two types of insurances; fulltime and part time. It might be a good idea to choose the full time option, as there are some shady areas in the definition of “spare time”.

When you receive your CPR number, you will also receive a medical card (a yellow card). That card allows you to go to the doctor without paying anything. It will also ensure access to costless treatment at the hospital should you fall ill or get hurt in some way. The medical card does not cover inoculations needed to travel in foreign countries and other non-sickness related treatments. The health card does not cover you appointments at the dentists either. If you have an accident insurance and you damage our teeth in an accident, the insurance might partly cover the bill from the dentists. You also have to pay for any medicine you might need that is not given to you directly at the hospital.

Some people have private health insurances, often through the work place. It is not, however, necessary to have a private health insurance, as the government pays for your treatments and surgeries at the public hospitals. The public hospitals in Denmark are of a high standard, although the waitlist can be quite long for some types of non-emergency surgeries.

You can choose to become a member of something called “Sygeforsikring Danmark”. It is not something that is required and it is not something that everybody needs. Sygeforsikring Danmark has different classes of membership. Depending on the membership class they cover some of the costs associated to different health services, such as the dentist, new glasses, medicine etc. For more information go to their website;

As with most things, it is always a good idea to call more than one insurance company to determine which one has the best combination of terms and price.

This article was published and written by Lise Kristensen, a member of the International Business Integration Union. IB Union consists of a group of students dedicated to helping students from abroad transition to life in Copenhagen. You can find out more about them at here or on the IB Union Facebook page.

About the Author :

Leave a reply